Monday 9 June 2008

Monday 9th June: CONTRIBUTOR FROM BASEL

When Anna Leader went to the Basel Art Fair last week, I asked her to send me some pictures for an incoming report. She snapped this incredible sculpture by Artist Kohei Nawa who is represented by SCAI the bathhouse, Tokyo. It reminds me slightly of a Hussein Chalayan dress? She seemed to think that the taxidermy is inside the glass............so I looked up his explanation and here it is...........quite fantastic...

PixCell - ...... (Beads)
By covering surface of an object with transparent glass beads, the existence of the object itself is replaced by "a husk of light", and the new vision "the cell of an image" (PixCell) is shown.
Most of the motifs, like stuffed animals are found through the internet. I search some auction sites and choose from the images which appear on a monitor as pixel. However, the stuffed animals which actually have been purchased and sent have real flesh feel and smell, and have a discrepancy with images on the monitor. I then transpose them to PixCell in turn.


No comments: