Wednesday 8 June 2011

Weds 8th June: Havaianas for Ascot Ladies Day








Havaianas contacted me a while ago about making some hats for their team to wear to Ascot Ladies Day. Ive had great fun slicing up thongs and dissecting the multi layer colour flip flops to create some fresh summery headwear. As the rubber sandals are quite heavy I have made the main structure from light weight cane woven together with strips of their cardboard packaging. You can watch Naomi's film from a studio visit for Grazia to see my design process of conjuring up hibiscus flowers to decorate the final piece. Who knew such dainty intricate flora could be achieved from the sturdy block footwear............. I have lacerated fingers from scalpel injuries to testify that its no easy thing!!!! Here are my sketches and snaps of very early experiments, so check back next week to see the final finished sculptural hats and how we get on with bets! I'll also report on what everyone else will be wearing on the big day!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh congratulations to you, well done. They are beautifully well crafted and designed. Absolutely gorgoues. I would buy them when I see them.