Thursday 12 January 2012

Fri 13th Jan: TEST PRESENTS VERA CHYTILOVA'S ‘DAISIES’




The latest episode in the TEST Presents series takes part this Thurs (19th Jan) with a screening of Vera Chytilova's 'Daisies', introduced by Fashion in Film Festival curator and director Marketa Uhlirova. The monthly film club asks a different creative from the industry to host a night by selecting a film that has inspired them and which they would like to share. Previous special guests have included Richard Nicoll, Julie Verhoeven, Penny Martin and myself when I talked thru the impact of "The Cockettes" on my life outlook.
Here is a clip of this month's movie to give a taster of what to expect if you aren't already familiar with the 1960's experimental avant-garde Czech classic piece of cinema. I was introduced to it by Letih Clark when she asked me to do the set design for a shoot with Amanda De Cadenet for an early issue of Lula. Back in the days of when I was operating as a props designer this was one of my first official commissions which I was very thankful to Leith for! I gathered together lots of foliage from the flower market, located strange exotic green fruits, made pastel colour cupcakes and borrowed a beautiful antique phone from my uncle. I photocopied my Granddad's 1960's photography books and wallpapered a space in the amazing location of the George Tavern. It was a fun day running ahead of each set up, installing the next one.......... spontaneously thinking on my feet and experimenting with what I had. Above you can see the final spread featuring Nathalie Press dressed in the Miu Miu silk looks of the time. "Daises" was a brilliant reference to spark ideas to re-create for Lula's house style and I really recommend you take this opportunity to see it on a large screen as I don't think the chance will come up again as it is an obscure entity..............

Thursday 19th January, Town Hall Hotel, Bethnal Green, Screening starts at 7.30PM, Tickets and more info here.


Natalie Press 'Spellbound' in Lula Issue 3, Images by Susie Bubble at The Fashion Spot.
Photos: Amanda de Cadenet, Fashion Editor Leith Clark

No comments: