Saturday 15 December 2012

Saturday 15th Dec: "Dodecahedron Collision" Swatch







Here it is,  last week I finally got my own model of the SWATCH watch that I designed and launched in November.  Ella Dror captured the moment I opened it at their showroom which was an extremely exciting moment having waited patiently to get my paws on the finished article.  I made the prototype which Swatch technically developed into a reality and I signed off a sample, but this was the actual moment I could hold the real thing.  The packaging is an iridescent box with spectrum foil logo and the prism gift box is an exact replica of my maquette with a bonus magnet streamline latch.  I designed the watch to be interactive so that you can hold it in sun-rays to make colourful beams like a stain-glass window.  The centre of the dial has a silver disc like a mirror to reflect the beams and the hands are glow-in-the-dark so its still cosmic after sun-down!  The best thing, is the strap components hinge on elastic like a little girl's bracelet so there is no fastening - its all one circular piece.  
Its very surreal having my own Swatch as its my childhood dream come true!  A stream of events kick started by this blog ........... when i-D asked to feature me in a Swatch advertorial about their 3 favourite bloggers (alongside Bryan Boy and Gary Card) I was latterly approached by MTV to blog for their Swatch sponsored website.......... which involved an interview with Beth Ditto which was seen by Swatch HQ who then asked to meet me to discuss potentially designing a product.............. hey presto a few years down the line and some stepping stones leap-frogged.......... this is the result and its my purest vision of my most desired watch, if I could have one for myself........ as much colour on one wrist as possible!
Read more in an interview for The Metro here.

1 comment:

Tiny said...

I would do anything to get my hands on one!!