Thursday 4 February 2010

Thurs 4th Feb: Orgy of Hearts by Corrie Williamson














Later today will be the preview of a special exhibition at London's new Concept Store Darkroom.  To help raise money for the Haiti fund, artists have been commissioned to create an item designed to fit a Valentine theme to become part of "An Exhibitional Orgy of Love Hearts".  I contacted one of the contributors to find out more about her involvement and also finally feature her genius as I haven't done so before...........only indirectly via collections for Cooperative Designs and Goodone!  Introducing Corrie Williamson, Jewellery Designer...........and so much more..........I'm a big fan of her timeless pieces......
 
"The brief was to use black, white and one other colour and to put a heart shape somewhere in your piece....
Since I am midway through making the new Cooperative collection of jewellery at the moment when this came into my inbox i jumped at the chance to make something BIG. (well for a jewellery maker!)...most of my inspiration comes from Materials and at the moment I'm obsessed with plywoods from the cheap mass produced ones to making my own.
I had the idea to make a heart shape from holes so you can see the sandwich layers of wood in each of the holes...I wanted to combine this decorative overlay with an image behind that was going to be quite abstracted. I asked
Amy Gwatkin to come up with some images to use and it was basically a choice between a topless boy and a wet t shirt! Difficult decision we went with the boy.... and it was just a case of mounting the image behind the wood after treating it to an abstract screen print, (small homage to my screenprinting days at Brighton seeing as how i never get near a squeegy anymore)."


These are all images of Corrie's work space and samples that she has kindly taken to go with this entry.  Her fascination for tools can be seen in her studio shnickle shnackle and also in her own work designing beautiful brushes which you can check out over on her blog.  Or to buy a signature ring at a bargain new sale price, head over to Browns!



No comments: