Tuesday 24 August 2010

Weds 25th August: Moments & Momentos - Natascha Stolle



"My step dad Jody made this ring for me for my 15th birthday. He grew up in an orphanage in North Carolina where they learned how to make rings out of old silver coins. You can use any coin (Jody used a silver dollar from the year of my birth), but it must be pure enough to be easily malliable and these are normally older coins as newer ones are made from harder alloys. You tap all around the edge of the coin with a spoon (he used a small jewelry hammer for mine) until the edges soften and bend over the sides. When all the writing on the edge of the coin is shifted to the edge hanging over, then drill out the center of the coin to make the hole for your finger. File and polish the rough edges and the ring is ready to wear. I wear mine often and never travel without it; it's my good luck ring and my favorite accessory because it reminds me of home and where I come from."


Natascha Stolle

1 comment:

Duck said...

That's such a lovely story, although I don't think I have the patience to make and wear one for myself. But I will be wearing my fab Stolle chiffon trousers, even if they are "meant" to be womenswear

xx
Duck