Tuesday 11 January 2011

Tues Jan 11th: Private View












When I was writing up Simone Rocha's Selfridges window display inspired by Francis Bacon's studio I dug out my "Private View" book. Its a beautiful collection of Snowdon's photographs of the British art scene in one of its more exciting times. Bacon, Freud, Moore, Hepworth, Heron, Nicholson, Kitaj, Vaughan, Sutherland, Hockney, Hitchens, Pasmore, Frink, Chadwick, etc, etc. Several years in the making during the 1960's, it gives a real sense of the processes and personalities behind the artworks. Delving into the paint pots and paraphernalia of studios plus portraits of the inhabitants - its a bit like a blueprint for The Selby. What a fantastic title too - Private View!
I particularly love the pages dedicated to Peter Blake since seeing his collection recently at The Museum of Everything.
I picked up my copy from a 2nd book shop a few years ago but Ive had a look on line and it seems easy to find............... I recommend snapping up a copy! Its as much an inspiring interiors album as it is an art monograph.

No comments: